Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My First Anniversary in Oz

Well, believe it or not, today marks the first anniversary of my permanent arrival in Australia. Bruce and I were laughing over it this morning: It had been a heckuva day: I’d had a brutal 31 hour trip, he was as sick as a wallaby (ha! ha! How charmed I still am by the Australian turn of phrase)

Still, today was an amazing day, and my first anniversary was celebrated with style.



First off, at about 10:00am, a helicopter from Channel 7 news arrived, to cover the event. They even sent along their celebrity Weatherman, John Schluter, to lead the event. How fortunate it was that our Grade 5 students were studying “Weather” as part of their term studies too!


The helicopter circled, then landed on the oval, to the sound of cheering children. I was asked to pose for a photo op by the helicopter, and happily obliged.



Anything for the punters.

I had a wee chat with John Schluter, and he personally wished me well on this auspicious anniversary. Then we all retired to the hall where John made and awesome speech about me and all of my accomplishments and how wonderful it was to have me here at Samford and how I could heal the sick and make homework disappear and how he hoped that I would never leave and that he sincerely prayed that all the children gave me lollies and chocolate.

Oh, and he gave a wee talk on “weather” for the grade 5’s too.


What an amazing first anniversary its been….

3 comments:

Brock said...

you left out the part where you built the helicopter in your spare time out of Vegemite and some chewie bits while wearing your sunnies at night.

Anonymous said...

And that is why moving to Australia was so wonderful-- you never got the public recognition you deserved in Ontario for your amazing endeavors! =D lol

The Good, The Bad, and the Godly said...

Amen! :-D