Thursday, May 1, 2008

Drewsome stories from the Crypt...

Drew is not one of my charges at School. Actually, he’s the delicious and incredibly intelligent three-year-old son of dear friends of ours. I have the pleasure of babysitting Drew occasionally, and a pleasure it truly is. He’s about the funniest, most entertaining kid I’ve ever met, and I am so glad he’s not mine!  I’d never keep up.

But there’s never an evening I spend with him that I am not blessed with a side-splittingly funny incident to share with his parents and with Bruce. I’d like to share a couple with you.

Drew’s only recently been potty trained. That in itself has been an exercise in hilarity, I am told by his awesomely patient mum. But I had my own “Drewsome potty adventure” too.

As his parents were leaving one evening (Drew is fond of telling them to “go away” when the babysitter shows up, even telling his mum once to “go talk to daddy”) I noticed a rather… erm… funky smell emanating from our little Drewie.

“Drewie” I asked, “Did you make a poo, honey? Do you need a new nappie?”

Drew, intent on playing with his cars by the living room couch, shook his head.

“No. No poos now.”

The smell continued, and even intensified as he stood up to fetch a truck from the love seat. I waved my hand in front of my face to clear the smell.

“Drewie, sweetheart,” I persisted, “Are you sure you didn’t make a poo?”

Drewie looked peeved and shook his head again, wafting yet more of that pong in my direction.

“No poo Annie. Not yet. I not make poos yet”. He turned his attention back to the cars.

“Ok, Drewie. You didn’t make a poo yet? That’s good. Will you tell me when you need to make poos?”

He nodded his head, but I wanted to be sure.

“Drewie, will you tell me when you are going to make poos?”

“OK, ok Annie!” he said, clearly annoyed at my badgering. And with that, he dropped into a squat and his face contorted. He grunted and strained as the blood drained from my face. Then he turned that angelic smile on me.

“Ok, Annie! I made a poos!!”

I should have been more specific….

No comments: